State Sen. David Simmons not only will serve as president pro-tempre of the new Florida Senate but the Longwood Republican also will chair the Senate Judiciary Committee, under new committee assignments released Monday by Senate President Bill Galvano.
Among other key appointments involving Central Florida members of the Florida Senate, newly-elected Tom Wright of Volusia County will chair the newly-reconfigured Military and Veterans Affairs and Space Committee; Dennis Baxley of Lady Lake will chair the newly-reconfigured Ethics and Elections Committee; Kelli Stargel will chair the Appropriations Subcommittee on Education; Debbie Mayfield of Melbourne will chair the Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, the Environment and General Government; and Linda Stewart of Orlando was appointed as the Senate’s alternating chair of the Joint Adminitrative Procedures Committee.
Stewart is the only Democrat among Central Floridians getting chairs.
State Sen. Joe Gruters of Sarasota will chair the Senate Commerce and Tourism Committee, though Central Florida will have three of the other four seats, including Democrat Victor Torres as vice chair. Also on that committee are Wright and Stewart.
Mayfield also will be vice chair of the Children, Families, and Elder Affairs Committee.
State Sen. Randolph Bracy of Oakland, a Democrat, was appointed as vice chair of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice.
Among other appointments:
– Simmons, of Senate District 9, also will serve on Appropriations Committee, the Rules Committee, the Education Committee, and the Community Affairs Committee.
– Bracy, of Senate District 11, also will serve on the Criminal Justice Committee, Innovation, Industry and Technology Committee; and the Finance and Tax Committee.
– Baxley, of Senate District 12, also will serve on the Judiciary Committee, Health Policy Committee, Education Committee, and the Appropriations Subcommittee on Education.
– Stewart, of Senate District 13, also will serve on the Appropriations Committee, Infrastructure and Security Committee, and Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, Environment and General Government.
– Wright, of Senate District 14, also will serve on the Children, Families and Elder Affairs Committee, Environment and Natural Resources Committee, and the Joint Administrative Procedures Committee.
– Torres, of Senate District 15, also will serve on the Children, Families and Elder Affairs Committee, Government Oversight and Accountability Committee, and the Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development.
– Mayfield, of Senate District 17, also will serve on the Appropriations Committee, the Environment and Natural Resources Committee, and the Health Policy Committee.
– Stargel, of Senate District 22, also will serve on the Appropriations Committee, Judiciary Committee, Education Committee, Ethics and Elections Committee, and Finance and Tax Committee.